Tuesday, February 17, 2009

One Tough Cookie!

Today had many makings of a not so great day when we started out. On the agenda - a yucky, cold and rainy day, a visit to Alyson's new pre-K school she will be starting soon (more later on that), a Wal-Mart trip (ugh!) and a visit to the pediatrician with Alyson for a check up and SHOTS!

Alyson was aware she was going to the doctor but I was waiting until just the right moment (and the last minute) to tell her she was going to get shots. I was anticipating the worst - it took 4 of us to hold Natalie down when she got hers. Those of you who really know Alyson will appreciate the humor in the next comment. Once in the exam room, I sat her in my lap and told her I needed to tell her something about our visit to the doctor. She looked at me and very matter-of-factly said, "What, I'm getting a shot?" and that was essentially the end of it. Wait, where is the screaming and crying I am braced for? We talked briefly about how things would take place but she never said anything else about it. When the moment actually arrived she was amazing. She sat still as a statue and "blew out her candles" as she received 5 shots in her arms. Not a tear was shed. Not a whimper was heard. I only noticed one small grimace. We had far more drama tonight when we went to remove the 5 bandaids on her arms!

We are ready for school now!

We never made it to Wal-mart. Mom was too tired!

4 comments:

JL said...

Oh my goodness! She looks just like Natalie in that second pic! And that is exactly the reaction I would expect from Aly ;)

Steph said...

Tell Aly Sophie knows how she feels. She got her 5 shots last Thursday in her legs. She handled it well also during the shots, it was the next day that was bad for her...very sore and fever! Can you believe they will be starting kindergarten next year? Our girls are growing up :(

Suzan said...

I am so proud of her! I thought the same thing... She looked just like Natalie in the 2nd picture! WOW! I can hear her little voice saying "what I am gonna get a shot?"! too funny!

tandtsmom said...

I am so jealous... Trevor was fighting so hard he bent the needle of his first shot!!! Maybe the second child always does better? I sure hope so...already dreading Travis' shots and they are more than 2 years away!

Oh...and...good girl, Aly:)